People Foods: Are They Safe?
Some people foods are OK for dogs. Consult a Yankee Hill staff member before feeding your dog any people food.
Foods to keep away from your dog:
- Sweets: Under any circumstances, DO NOT let your dog eat chocolate. The chemical theobromine contained in chocolate is toxic to canines and even in small amounts can prove to be fatal.
- Uncooked red meat and bones: Uncooked meats may contain harmful bacteria, parasites, and cysts, which may make your dog sick. Bones may be dangerous because they can splinter and puncture your dog’s gastrointestinal tract.
- Chicken and turkey bones are a potential hazard for your pooch. These small bones can splinter and puncture the stomach or intestines, or cause choking.
- Grapes and raisins can be toxic to canines if eaten in large amounts.
- Onions and garlic can cause anemia in dogs.